West end of the depot after the 50’ extension was added, ca. 1910.  Door at left was to the REA office.  Charlie Wilson’s Cottage Bar Saloon can be seen to left in background.

     Apparently there was such a stampede for the dining room when the train stopped that people were injured and tempers flared.
     But for the most part the Beanery was a very popular place with railroaders, who only had to cross the tracks from the roundhouse or yard to get a hot meal.  And it was well patronized by the townsfolk, too.
     Sherman Lee Mayes, whose father was a blacksmith and early auto mechanic, remembered the depot fondly.  He related that when they came to Sanderson in the very early 1900s  there  was  no newspaper and
NEXT
BACK
     In 1914 the Brown News was absorbed by the Van Noy Interstate Company.  Operations continued, but as dining cars were added to the passenger consist the need for depot dining rooms began to decline. Van Noy began to concentrate on railroad hotel operations and eventually became the Host Marriott Corporation.
     But back in Sanderson the operation remained unchanged and Van Noy ran the Beanery franchise for many years, under the direction of a long list of local managers.
     Many young Sanderson men and women, who were jokingly referred to as Beanery Queens, were employed  by the Beanery, and it was the place to go for a hot meal or a date with your sweetie.
     Some of those early employees were Frank and Shella Weigand, managers, “Little Miss Anita”, Gilbert Lopez, Helen Lemons, Ervin Grigsby (who worked as a ‘hasher’,) the Fishers (also managers), Irvin Robbins, Polly Jenkins,  Ray Hernandez and many others.
     On a darker note, Mary Nell Hinkle and Ray Hernandez of Sanderson recalled that the Beanery had segregated seating for the white, black and Mexican clientele, which lasted up until the Beanery went out of business in the late 50s.
     Early photos show a white lattice fence around the east end of the depot, where the Beanery was located. Fences were probably put up for crowd control.
Sanderson Depot