View of the depot pre-1910 before the 50’ extension was added to the west end.  Note the lattice fence on the east end to control the ‘stampede’ to the lunchroom from arriving passenger trains.

     The Beanery was run by at least two companies.  From the beginning it was designated a lunch stop.  By the turn of the century it was operated by the Brown News Company of Kansas City.  They sold magazines, newspapers, books, tobacco products, fruits, nuts and novelties from newsstands located in train stations. Passengers could also get candy, gum and snacks from “candy butchers” or “news butches,” Brown News employees who walked through the train making sales.   Meals were not available on the trains so a stop at the depot lunch room was a necessity if you wanted a decent meal.
   
NEXT
BACK
     There is no evidence that the original station had a bay window.  Operator bay windows were not standard until after 1895 when semaphore signaling was introduced to the SP system.
     The original depot was quite drab in color.  Standard practice before 1905 was to paint SP properties slate gray with a dark red or green roof.  A 1903 photo indicates our depot was painted in that color scheme.
      In the early 1900s the SP sent paint gangs throughout the system to repaint all SP properties with a new color scheme...crème (yellow) walls with brown trim and highlights, and dark green paint for the roof. 
     Although some depots added sand to the paint in the lower  portion  of  the  walls  to  control  damage from
carts and discourage vandals, the Sanderson depot did not.
     There is no doubt that the depot in Sanderson was the center of social life in the community for years.  The railroad was the only easy way in and out of Sanderson in the early days and four passenger trains a day made scheduled stops.  And at every arrival large crowds of people from town wandered down to the depot to watch travelers get off of the train to run to the Beanery … dining cars were not a part of the Sunset Limited passenger service for many years and hungry passengers had to fend for themselves. 
Sanderson Depot